- Friends In Freshness
- Our Products
- Product Inquiry
- Nutritional Resources
- Windset TV
- The News
- Growing Responsibly
- Log In
Spicy Italian Sausage Penne with Sweet Dolce™ Red Pepper Sauce
|Prep time||15 minutes|
|Cook time||30 minutes|
RECIPE CREATED BY EXECUTIVE CHEF DANA REINHARDT | © 2010 Windset Farms™. All rights reserved.
Our most popular recipes, this red pepper sauce also makes a great accompaniment for grilled chicken or seared halibut.
Red Pepper Sauce
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 3 red Windset Farms™ Dolce™ Super Sweet Baby Bell Peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 tsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 lb. penne, cooked
- 4 spicy Italian sausages, casings removed
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 Tbsp. basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, finely grated
- Place a skillet over medium/low heat and add butter. Melt butter and add shallots, peppers and salt. Sauté until just soft (about 7 minutes). Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add sugar and rice vinegar and reduce until syrupy (about 4 minutes). Add stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and purée in blender.
- Place a skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Brown sausage meat in oil and drain off excess oil. Add pureed red pepper sauce and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Toss cooked penne with the sauce and chopped basil. Top with grated Parmesan and serve.