- Friends In Freshness
- Our Products
- Product Inquiry
- Nutritional Resources
- Windset TV
- The News
- Growing Responsibly
- Log In
Roma Tomato Cobbler
|Prep time||25 minutes|
|Cook time||55 minutes|
RECIPE CREATED BY EXECUTIVE CHEF DANA REINHARDT | © 2010 Windset Farms™. All rights reserved.
- 3 lbs. Windset Farms™ Roma Tomatoes, cored and peeled
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- ½ small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 6 Tbsp. (3 oz.) butter, very cold, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup whole milk
- Grease a large, square baking dish with butter. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- To peel the Roma tomatoes, bring a large pot of water to the boil. Core the tomatoes and make a small X on the bottom of each tomato. Fill a bowl with ice water and plunge tomatoes into boiling water for 1 minute. Remove and place in ice bath. Peel. Quarter the Roma tomatoes and toss with cornstarch, 2 tsp. of kosher salt, pepper, garlic and shallots. Place in greased baking dish, bake for 30 minutes and remove.
- This dish can be made to this point ahead of time. To finish, reheat tomatoes for 10 minutes at 400ºF. Remove from the oven and add the cobbler topping and bake for 35 minutes or until top is golden.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, parsley and thyme. In a separate bowl, mix eggs and milk. Rub cold butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add wet ingredients into the dry and mix gently until a moist dough forms. Fit dough onto the cooked tomatoes at about 1-inch thickness. Bake for about 20 minutes or until top is golden. Serve immediately.