- Friends In Freshness
- Our Products
- Allegro™ Tomatoes
- Allegro™ Tomatoes on the Vine
- Cameo™ Cherry Tomatoes
- Campari Tomatoes
- Campari Tomatoes on the Vine
- Concerto® Grape Tomatoes
- Concerto™ Gold Grape Tomatoes
- Roma Tomatoes on the Vine
- Symphony™ Heirloom Tomato Ensemble
- Tomatoes on the Vine
- Virtuoso™ Beefsteak Tomatoes
- Virtuoso™ Beefsteak Tomatoes on the Vine
- Product Inquiry
- Nutritional Resources
- Windset TV
- The News
- Growing Green
- Log In
Tuscan Roma Tomato and Bread Soup
|Prep time||15 minutes|
|Cook time||40 minutes|
RECIPE CREATED BY EXECUTIVE CHEF DANA REINHARDT | © 2009 Windset Farms™. All rights reserved.
A very hearty, savory soup full of taste and tomatoes. A warm, welcoming answer to cold winter days.
- 2 lbs. Windset Farms™ Roma Tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 cups boiling water
- ¼ cup fresh basil, cut into pieces
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1-½ lb. loaf sourdough bread, crusts removed and cubed
- 1/3 cup very good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Bring a large stockpot of water to boil. Fill a large bowl with ice water to use as an ice bath. Core tomatoes and place in boiling water for 1 minute. Remove from boiling water with a slotted spoon and place in ice bath. Allow tomatoes to sit in the ice bath for a few minutes. Peel skins off tomatoes and squeeze the seeds out.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, sugar, salt and cook over medium/low heat for 30 minutes, to concentrate the tomato flavour.
- Add boiling water to the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add the cubed bread and ¼ of the very good quality extra virgin olive oil. Stir well and add basil.
- Ladle into 4 bowls and drizzle with remaining extra virgin olive oil.