- Friends In Freshness
- Our Products
- Allegro™ Tomatoes
- Allegro™ Tomatoes on the Vine
- Cameo™ Cherry Tomatoes
- Campari Tomatoes
- Campari Tomatoes on the Vine
- Concerto® Grape Tomatoes
- Concerto™ Gold Grape Tomatoes
- Roma Tomatoes on the Vine
- Symphony™ Heirloom Tomato Ensemble
- Tomatoes on the Vine
- Virtuoso™ Beefsteak Tomatoes
- Virtuoso™ Beefsteak Tomatoes on the Vine
- Product Inquiry
- Nutritional Resources
- Windset TV
- The News
- Growing Green
- Log In
Poached Eggs and Pesto
|Prep time||10 minutes|
|Cook time||10 minutes|
RECIPE CREATED BY EXECUTIVE CHEF DANA REINHARDT | © 2010 Windset Farms™. All rights reserved.
A perfect, simple, weekend breakfast/brunch recipe.
- 4 Allegro™ Tomatoes, sliced in half
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. distilled white vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tsp. pesto **
- 4 thin slices Fontina cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- Brush Allegro™ tomatoes with oil and sprinkle with a ½ tsp. kosher salt. Arrange Allegro™ tomato halves, cut sides up, on broiler pan. Broil about 6 inches from heat until tender and slightly charred (about 7 minutes total). Leave broiler on.
- Fill a deep 10-inch skillet with 1¼ inches cold water. Add white vinegar and bring to a simmer. Break 1 egg into a cup, slide egg into simmering water. Repeat with remaining eggs, spacing them in skillet. Poach at a bare simmer until whites are firm but yolks are still runny (2-3 minutes).
- Gently transfer eggs with slotted spoon to paper towel. Drain and season with remaining ½ tsp. of kosher salt.
- Using a foil covered baking sheet, place one poached egg on top of two halves of broiled Allegro™ tomatoes. Top each egg with tablespoon of pesto. Cover eggs with cheese slices and broil until cheese is just melted (about 1 minute). Serve immediately.
**Good quality jarred pesto can be found in most grocery stores.